2001 – Present
Rivendell Associates Ltd, Wellington
Focussing on using my wide experience to listen carefully to underlying needs, provide insights, facilitate negotiations amongst stakeholders and encourage profound change mainly through long-term business relationships. Exploring and discovering a more profound way of constructing a working life.
Business mentoring & Coaching
- Focused mainly on the Health Sector. Provided to CEOs, General Managers and managers in the Ministry of Health, DHBs, PHOs and NGOs.
- Acting as a facilitator for professional development courses for Deloitte, mainly in Asia region plus occasionally in Europe and New Zealand. Courses focus on professional services, management and leadership.
- External Financial advisor to PHARMAC providing quality assurance of Finance Function, strategic finance guidance and acting as Chair of Internal Funds Management Committee (2001 to date)
- Strategic Business advisor to Leadership Development Centre providing Finance strategy guidance and business mentoring and coaching (2010 to date)
- Strategic Business advisor to Health & Disability Commissioner providing quality assurance on financial information and strategic advice and facilitation (2010 to date)
Health Sector Facilitation
- Independent Chair of PSAAP (PHO Services Agreement Amendment Protocol), the national forum where the Ministry of Health, DHBs, PHOs and contracted providers negotiate changes to the national contract for Primary Health Care (2007 to date)
- Acting as an independent and informed facilitator for strategic sessions for a wide range of Health entities including Ministry of Health, DHBs, Primary Health Networks, PHOs, NGOs and also multi-sectorial
- Independent Chair of Worksafe New Zealand Audit, Risk & Finance Committee (2014 to date)
- External member of Ministry of Health Audit, Finance & Risk Committee (2001-2012)
- External member of Capital & Coast Finance, Risk & Audit Committee (2003-2010)
- Member of Medsafe Advisory Board (2001-2015)
- Member of National Radiation Laboratory Advisory Board (2001-2012)
- Project manager for development of governance arrangements for the National Dog Database. Preparation of discussion paper on governance framework and possible options, facilitation of various workshops involving Central Government and Local Government representatives and summary paper on recommended Governance arrangements for report-back to the Minister of Local Government
- Development and refinement of Board and executive level internal financial management reports package for various Health Sector entities including Ministry of Health, Capital and Coast District Health Board, PHARMAC and Alcohol Advisory Council.
- Development of a ‘Balanced Scorecard’ to monitor business performance at the Education Review Office. Advice on framework approach, performance measures and facilitation of workshops
- Project advisor and quality assurance on a culture change project for the Public Health directorate of the Ministry of Health
- Liturgical assistant, Wellington Anglican Cathedral of St. Paul
- National Treasurer of the Associates of the Cistercian Monastery, Southern Star Abbey at Kopua
- Treasurer of the Orpheus Choir of Wellington (2007-2011)
1995 – 2001
Deloitte New Zealand Limited, Wellington,
Partner, Management Solutions
Leading and managing a business unit in a Big 4 firm. Engagement at local, national and international levels.
- Partner responsible for national service line and for Wellington office team. Business planning; team performance management and marketing
- Project director for a wide range of projects, mainly to Public benefit entities, covering strategic HR, performance management, change management and organisational development
Deloitte National People Partner
- Convenor of national internal Human Resource steering group. Scoping and implementation of various projects, evaluation and maintenance of good people managment under the ‘Best people, Best practice’ initiative
- Member of international task forces on development of learning programmes & facilitator for Management Excellence
- Learning facilitator for national learning programmes on professional service skills & project management
- 14 month’s secondment from November 1999 to December 2000 as Chief Financial Officer at the Health Funding Authority. Extensive responsibilities covering:
- Financial budgeting, management and reporting of operating and service expenditure of approximately $6 billion
- Leadership of the national finance team, including the Shared Services Support Group in Dunedin
- Maintenance of effective and open relationships with key stakeholders (Ministry of Health, Audit NZ, The Treasury, Health Benefits Ltd., HFA Board & Finance & Audit Committee)
- Contributing to the Executive Management team as a General Manager
- Maintenance and handover of organisational capability from HFA to the Ministry of Health on 31 December 2000 of Finance, Information Management, Internal Audit, Legal and Ethics and Advisory Committees
- Project advisor to the financial management team on the Inland Revenue Department project to replace their financial management systems with a SAP solution. Specific emphasis on financial management roles and performance expectations of managers and financial advisors. Design and development of a financial management training course and delivery to over 200 managers and financial advisors across new Zealand
- Project advisor for the outsourcing of temporary and permanent recruitment by Telecom New Zealand. Specific advice on project management framework, templates, service level agreements, together with change management advice and facilitation of project team and vendor meetings
- Change management and communications advice and process quality assurance to the Ministry of Justice on an intranet development project.
- Mentor to Wellington Girls’ College 1994 – 1999, as part of the Young Enterprise Scheme to promote an understanding of business enterprise and economic literacy amongst post-primary students and educators.
1988 – 1995
Deloitte New Zealand Limited, Wellington,
Principal, Management Consulting
Building on experience to date largely based on financially related competencies and morphing into a management consultant with a strength in project management and an affinity with Public Benefit Entities and in the context of ambitious Public Sector Financial Management Reform.
- Part of the team on the Cash Management Reform project implemented by the New Zealand Debt Management Office that introduced private sector banking systems for all government departments. Acted as advisor to 12 departments including Inland Revenue Department, Ministry of Education, Department of Justice, Ministry of Forestry, Department of Health, Ministry of Transport, Iwi Transition Agency and Ministry for the Environment
- Project Consultant to Trust Bank New Zealand on the standardisation of regional board and top management reporting. Specific tasks included the set up and maintenance of the project process, acting as a coach to the project leader and working team, and specific advice on report format and business performance measures
- Presentations on New Zealand Public Sector financial management to delegations from Japan, Botswana and Malawi
- Review of financial management practices and internal performance reporting at the Ministry for the Environment. Project Manager for the development of a financial management guide for managers and implementation of integrated financial and performance reporting
- Review of the costing methodology and practices of the Community Corrections Division of the Department of Justice. This was subsequently followed up with a review setting out the strategic direction for financial management in the next 5-year period. The review covered an analysis of the existing framework and environment, where the Division was currently positioned and recommendations for a number of projects to better position the Division in a more commercially oriented market
- Project Manager for the new Financial Management Information System for the Department of Health. Development of the technical solution to meet the requirements of the introduction of accrual accounting together with the change management on implementation
- Design, development and implementation of a project management system including presentation of training workshops for the Ministry for the Environment, the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, Telecom New Zealand (Human Resources, Corporate and Marketing Services Divisions), New Zealand Employment Service, Ministry of Women’s Affairs, Tranz Scenic division of Tranz Rail Ltd and Ministry of Justice (Information Services and Public Law Groups)
- Design, development and presentation of Project Management Training Workshops for Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Group. Ministry of Health (New Zealand Health Information Services), Ministry of Transport, ECNZ Marketing, Telecom New Zealand (Business Information Services), the Ministry of Maori Development, Housing New Zealand North West Region, NZI Insurance and Taranaki Healthcare Limited
- Project Manager for the implementation of the national health information strategy for New Zealand and creation of an internal business unit in the Department of Health. Responsible for the planning, monitoring and coordination of the various core projects and reporting to top management. Followed by on-going quality assurance of the project process during the implementation of the systems solution. Provision of general business advice and project management support to the New Zealand Health Information Service business unit, including training and individual coaching in project management
- Project Management advice and support to the Change Management Group in the Ministry of Forestry during the establishment of the Forestry Crown Research Institute
- Analysis of training needs, development of learning material and presentation of financial management training courses to Department of Health, Special Education Service, Ministry for the Environment, Wellington Area Health Board, Waikato Area Health Board, New Zealand Defence Forces, Ministry for Maori Development, State Services Commission, the Education Review Office and the Inland Revenue Department
- Presentation of Accounting for bankers courses for Westpac Banking Corporation
- Design, implementation & maintenance of personal planning system for Deloitte New Zealand
- Development and lead facilitator for Fundamental Consulting Skills, the induction course for new Deloitte management consultants
- Establishment of the Residual Health Management Unit, including the development of the Statement of Intent, Annual Plan, Operational Budget and identification of appropriate performance measures. Provided management support covering provision of accounting and secretarial services, monthly reporting, management of contracts and liaison with the Ministry of Health
- Treasurer and later Chair of Discovery Primary School Board of Trustees
1983 – 1988
Deloitte Zimbabwe, Mutare
Partner, Audit & Business Advisory Services
Responding to the challenge of being a newly promoted young partner in charge of the Deloitte office in the Eastern Highlands, bordering Mozambique. Leading a team of 15 staff and learning, fast, about leadership, client service and business management.
Audits of the local Territorial Land Authority (Mutare City Council), a local subsidiary of a multinational involved in large-scale agriculture, local tourist hotels and casino
- Business advisor to small businesses and commercial farmers listening to their needs and ensuring that they complied with financial and tax requirements. Provided advice on financial management, tax planning and estate planning
- Acted as liquidator and receiver to realise assets fraudulently diverted from international aid
- Secretary and financial advisor to the local private health clinic
- Financial advisor and Chair of the Executive Committee of Hillcrest Private School
- Treasurer for the Anglican Cathedral of Mutare
- Committee member and volunteer with the local wildlife park and reserve
1982 – 1983
Deloitte Zimbabwe, Harare
Moving to Zimbabwe and being part of the post-independence transition. Manager of teams auditing mainly para-statal and national entities including Agricultural Finance Corporation, Commercial Farmers Union, Cold Storage Commission & Zimbabwe Tobacco Association
1978 – 1981
Deloitte Malawi - Blantyre
Adapting quickly to the reality and practice of audit in the Third World. Audits of tea estates, Malawi Development Corporation, Reserve Bank of Malawi and local manufacturing companies.
- Chair of the National Fauna Preservation Society (now the Wildlife & Environmental Society of Malawi)
- Treasurer for St. John’s Anglican Church
1973 – 1978
Deloitte United Kingdom – London
Starting my professional life fresh out of University and newly married. Took full advantage of theoretical and practical training opportunities. Obtained a comprehensive introduction to business gaining a wide range of experience on the audit teams of American owned UK subsidiaries with tight reporting deadlines, international banks and the London branch of New Zealand owned meat exporter, Borthwicks. Overseas assignment to Ministry of Defence, Sultanate of Oman.